1,886 total views, 4 views today
When we were about to go out from the pedia clinic, I saw this “21 Memos from a Child” posted at the doctor’s door. While I was reading the first lines, I thought of copying them all but I know I didn’t have the time. So, when I remembered it this afternoon, I tried to search for it. Luckily I was able to find a copy of it and a video. Most of them have no idea who authored this, so I don’t know who to credit it too but the video was taken from YouTube uploaded by garachi2007.
If you are a parent, this is a must read “MEMO.” You can also watch the video presentation if you want to enjoy a little background music.
“21 Memos from a Child”
1. Don’t spoil me. I know quite well that I ought not have all that I ask for. I’m only testing you.
2. Don’t be afraid to be firm with me, I prefer it. It makes me feel more secure.
3. Don’t make me form bad habits. I have to rely on you to detect them in the early stages.
4. Don’t make me feel smaller than I am. It only makes me behave stupidly “big”.
5. Don’t correct me in front of people if you can help it. I’ll take much more notice if you talk quietly with me in private.
6. Don’t make me feel that my mistakes are sins. It upsets my sense of values.
7. Don’t protect me from consequences. I need to learn the painful way, sometimes.
8. Don’t be too upset when I say “I hate you..”. It isn’t you I hate, but your power to thwart me.
9. Don’t take too much notice of my small ailments. Sometimes they get me the attention I need.
10. Don’t nag. If you do, I have to protect myself by appearing deaf.
11. Don’t forget that I cannot explain myself as well as I should like. That is why I am not always very accurate.
12. Don’t make rash promises. Remember that I feel badly let down when promises are broken.
13. Don’t tax my honesty too much. I am easily frightened into telling lies.
14. Don’t be inconsistent. That easily confuses me and makes me lose faith in you.
15. Don’t tell me that my fears are silly. They are terribly real and you can do much to reassure me if you try to understand.
16. Don’t put me off when I ask questions. If you do, you will find that I will stop asking and seek my information elsewhere.
17. Don’t ever suggest that you are perfect or infallible. It gives me too great a shock when I discover that you are neither.
18. Don’t ever think that it is beneath your dignity to apologize to me. An honest apoloy makes me feel suprisingly warm toward you.
19. Don’t forget how quickly I am growing up. It must be very difficult to keep pace with me, but please try.
20. Don’t forget, I love experimenting. I couldn’t get on without it so please put up with it.
21. Don’t forget, I can’t thrive without lots of understanding love. But I don’t need to tell you, do I?